Wednesday, August 26, 2015

So it begins…..or so we thought

So on 08/24 I text our project manager to ask him a question and he gave me a call. He let me know that they were probably going to start digging on 08/25 instead of 8/26. This made both my wife and I very happy. Sure it is only one day difference but to finally have the house started had us excited.
The wife and I decided to drive by the lot that same day and get one final look at the lot before they started. To our surprise they had already dug up the dirt where our driveway would be going and put gravel down. We both decided that we would come back by the following evening to see the progress they had made since they were going to be actually digging the next day.


Driveway ready 

As soon as the wife got off work the next day we made our way out to the lot. When we drove up we did see more dirt piled up but not the size hole dug out as we expected. Only the front room appeared to be dug out. The wife stayed positive and tried saying maybe they got started later today and will get more done the next day.
Little dirt moved 


The hole so far 

As we were driving back home I checked my email and saw that I had one from our sales rep. Apparently while they were digging they found a sewer line. So now they want to move our house back 5 feet and we have to sign off on something before they can proceed stating that we agree to it. While we both understand that 5 feet isn’t that big of a deal it is still very frustrating. How is it that they did not know there was a sewer line on our property? They should have been able to know this from city records. So while I am writing this our lot is just sitting there not being worked on until we get this paper up to our sales rep. We have to rush the paper up there on my wife’s lunch to get it to them as soon as possible so they can continue working. Again this is not that big of a deal but just very annoying and frustrating.
While my wife and I were discussing this on the drive home we had our son in the backseat telling us to not sign the paper. My wife asked him why he didn’t want us to sign the paper and he told her because he would lose play space in the backyard. Of course my wife being the woman she is downplayed the loss of the 5 feet in the backyard. She told our son that 5 feet is just the length of her if she lay down. This seemed to calm him down a little bit. I guess 5 feet to a 6 year old seems like a huge amount.
Not the best start to the dig but there could be worse things that could occur. Hopefully moving forward it will be smooth sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment